Seattle Sports Injuries and Treatment
Professional, amateur and weekend-warrior athletes all strive to have the best possible performance in their chosen sport, and they all get sports injuries and seek out treatment options.
In all likelihood, if you participate in any physical activity long enough, you will eventually get hurt to some degree. The way in which you take Seattle sports injury treatment for your injuries determines how fast you will recover and get back to the activity you enjoy also. Devine chiropractors determines your Sports Injuries and provide treatment according to that.
Usually, there is a very simple reason why we get injured. We play too hard, too long, or too fast. Overuse syndromes and playing full speed before warming up are the major causes of sports injuries.
Most sports involve body contact, fast starts, and stops that places an unusual amount of strain on the back and skeletal system. Therefore, we treat each person as an integrated being. We give special attention to their spine, joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and nerves.
At Devine Chiropractic in downtown Seattle, we treat a wide range of sports-related conditions and problems, including acute injuries and over-use injuries.
Our chiropractors understand that chiropractic adjustments, goal setting, perseverance, and nutrition help you to perform optimally. However, we offer a balanced approach to the treatment and the healing of sports injuries. We provide chiropractic adjustments to return spinal segments to their normal mobility. Moreover, we provide Graston, ART, Percussion therapy, and Kinesio-Taping therapies. We provide these therapies to facilitate the healing of muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This further returns them to normal function. We will work hard to get you back in the game. Along with that we teach you strategies for exercise and stretching. This will allow you to continue to enjoy your sport.
Dear Dr. Devine,
“Thank you so much for working with me two times in one day, and on such short notice. The magic you worked – adjusting me, and the “Volleyball” tape worked wonders and I was able to run the entire Rock N Roll Marathon! I had a slow and consistent pace for the entire race and was able to run all of it and not have to walk at all. Even at miles 20 through 26 where runners typically are not doing so well, I was feeling great and running strong! As I ran, I kept remembering the quote, “Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.” As I thought about that during the race I couldn’t help but be thankful that I had no pain in my knee. I am so proud to have run all 26.2 miles and am grateful that you were a big part of my first marathon.
Devine Chiropractic – Expert Treatment for Running Injuries in Seattle
At Devine Chiropractic & Rehab Center in downtown Seattle, we treat many runners for overuse injuries by Seattle sports Injury Treatment. We use gentle, specific manipulations (including adjustments to feet, ankles, knees, and hips). With that, we are able to free stiff joints, restore normal movement, and get you out of pain. In addition to chiropractic adjustments and massage therapy, we use the most cutting-edge therapies. The therapies are the Graston Technique and Kinesio-taping to treat running injuries. After you are free from pain, we encourage you to follow a program of rehabilitation exercise. This will help strengthen the injured area, improve flexibility and prevent a recurrence of the problem.
Our chiropractors at Seattle Sports Injury Treatment use Graston instruments to break down and release scar tissue. This is less elastic than healthy tissue, limits the range of motion, and can cause significant pain. Graston Technique decreases the length of treatment, provides faster rehabilitation and recovery. Also, it reduces the need for anti-inflammatory medication and helps in relieving chronic conditions.
Kinesio- Taping, the gold standard for therapeutic rehabilitative taping, involves taping over and around muscles in order to assist and give support or to prevent over-contraction. Taping maintains the full range of motion, enabling patients to participate in physical activities with functional assistance. It also provides the facilitation of lymph flow for accelerating healing.
Some of the most common running injuries treated by our chiropractors at Devine Chiropractic Center are:
Bursitis or Tendonitis
Runner’s Knee and Ilio-Tibio Band Syndrome
How to Avoid Running Injuries
- Evaluate your training schedule and alternate running with other activities, such as swimming, to prevent overusing the same muscles.
- Increases in distance and intensity should be gradual. Distance should only be increased by about 10% per week.
- Alternate the intensity of your workout with hard days and easy days each week. Also, devote one or two days each week to non-running activities to allow your body to recover.
- Stretch regularly to help reduce injuries.
- Replace your running shoes every 350-550 miles.
- Ask our chiropractors to assess your running technique and running posture.
- Run-on soft surfaces such as dirt paths to lessen the impact.
- When muscles are fatigued they don’t absorb as much impact, so stop running before you get tired.
- Ask our chiropractors to recommend specific lower-body exercises to strengthen your leg muscles. They will be able to absorb more of the impact.
- Pain is a warning signal. To prevent developing a chronic problem, do not run through pain.
Preventing Sports-Related Injuries:
- Always warm-up and cool down with appropriate stretching exercises before and after playing.
- Wear the proper clothing and equipment for your sport. Ask for professional help to make sure all equipment is sized properly for you.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your workouts.
- Listen to your body and rest when you feel tired.
- Vary your routine. Alternate distance running with bicycling or swimming, for example.
- Are you experiencing symptoms such as pain, swelling, numbness, or stiffness while playing your sport? Stop playing right away and see your chiropractor as soon as possible.